William Irvine (1741-1804) graduated from Dublin University, became a physician, and served as a surgeon in the British Navy before immigrating to Pennsylvania in 1763. He resumed practicing medicine and was a Delegate to Pennsylvania’s anti-Stamp Act conventions in 1764 and 1766. Irvine also took part in Pennsylvania’s conventions held to consider independence in 1774 and 1775.
Irvine died in Philadelphia and was buried in a graveyard near Independence Hall. In 1833, his remains were moved to Ronaldson’s Cemetery at 9th and Fitzwater. When Ronaldson’s Cemetery closed in the 1950s, the graves of a few Revolutionary War officers including Irvine were moved to Gloria Dei (Old Swedes’) Church.